Some Golden Rules to help your kids to be cavity-free:
- Promote a healthy mouth by taking care of your kid’s gums and teeth on a daily basis.
- Once your child is old enough to "do it by herself," take turns brushing to continue to demonstrate proper brushing habits.
- Be selective about any type of beverage you put in your kid's bottle/sippy cup besides water. Remember, dentists often refer to juice and soda as "liquid candy."
- Give your child water in their bottle/sippy cup when going for a nap or at bedtime as liquids tend to stick to the teeth because the mouth is drier during sleep.
- Reward your kids with hugs, stickers, and toys instead of desserts and candy. Sugary foods leave behind a sticky coating that converts to harmful bacteria and enamel-eating acid.
- If you feel compelled to give your child an occasional sweet, choose one that melts rapidly instead of gummy candy.
- Serve up calcium-rich foods such as yogurt, cheese, and milk, along with plenty of vitamin-heavy vegetables to help your child maintain strong, healthy teeth.
- Build good habits early by giving your child healthy treats in place of sweets at snack time.
Talk to your family doctor or dentist about the appropriate amount of fluoride your child needs.
More information can be found at www.youroralhealth.ca